Most Entrepreneurial City in America #KCMECA

Join the MECA movement and help build the entrepreneurial capacity of our city. We meet every other Wednesday (starting May 8, 2013) at 10:30 a.m. at the Kauffman Foundation Conference Center right after 1 Million Cups.  This site is yours to create and make awesome. Talk about what you're doing, create pages off of this one and share your ideas with the community.  Google brought the fiber, KC brings the community.

Join the MECA Google Group!

KC Startup Community Performance Indicators & Measures

Meeting 1 - May 8, 2013

  1. KC Community Challenges Doc - challenges to be met in building KC's entrepreneurial startup community
  2. Need to form teams around these 6 plays from the playbook - Playing to Win in America's Digital Crossroads:
  • IT Workforce Development
  • Innovation Hubs/Tech Districts
  • Proof-of-Concept and Fab Labs -see listi ngs
  • Technology Transfer
  • Access to Capital
  • Marketing the Region - KCADC


KC Startup Village LinkedIn Group - meet KCSC members and start sharing your skills and abilities to help build the community

KCSourceLink Calendar of Entrepreneurial Events

@KCBizCare Graduate & Undergraduate Internship Project Ideas

I came to #KC for #GoogleFiber


Kansas City, Mo. Zoning & Building Code FAQs:

This is a list of questions asked by KCSV or KCSC interested parties, please contact KCBizCare, 816-513-2492, directly with any specific questions regarding your desired location.

What are the regulations for home-based businesses in residential zoning districts?

Attached below is a link to our information bulletin which outlines the regulations for a home occupation. As mentioned one of the primary requirements for home occupations is that the individuals who are engaged in the home occupation be residents of the home.

Residential Home Occupation Guidelines from the Kansas City Zoning and 

Development Code


April 17, 1997 (Revised March 10, 2011)

City Planning & Development Department – Development Services

City of Kansas City, Missouri

Home occupations are accessory uses to uses in the household living category. The 

regulations of this section are primarily intended to ensure that home occupations in R zoning 

districts will not be a detriment to the character and livability of the surrounding residential 

neighborhood. The regulations are also intended to ensure that the home occupation remains 

subordinate to the residential use, and that the residential viability of the dwelling is 

maintained. The regulations also recognize that many types of work can be done in a home 

with little or no effect on the surrounding neighborhood. 

Home based daycare facilities and Bed and Breakfast uses are exempt from the home 

occupation regulations.

Home occupations are allowed in R districts only if they comply with all of the standards of 

section 88-305-04-D outlined below

1. The home occupation must be accessory and secondary to the use of a dwelling unit for

residential purposes, and the home occupation must not change the residential character 

of the residential building or adversely affect the character of the surrounding 


2. All employees must reside in the dwelling unit in which the home occupation is located. 

3. No more than two clients shall be present at any time and must be present by 

appointment only.

4. No separate entrance from the outside of the building may be added to the residential 

building for the sole use of the home occupation.

5. There may be no internal or external structural alterations or construction, nor the 

installation of any equipment that would change the residential character of the property 

upon which the home occupation is located. Examples of such prohibited alterations 

include construction of parking lots, paving of required setbacks, and the addition of 

commercial-like exterior lighting.

6. The home occupation and all related activities, including storage, must be conducted 

completely within an enclosed building.

7. No home occupation may produce or emit any noise, vibration, smoke, dust, or other 

particulate matter, odorous matter, heat, humidity, glare, or any other effect that 

unreasonably interferes with any person’s enjoyment of their residence.

8. Hazardous substances are prohibited, except that consumer quantities are allowed. 

Consumer quantities of hazardous substances are packaged and distributed in a form 

intended or suitable for sale through retail sales outlets for consumption by individuals 

for purposes of personal care and household use.9. One non-illuminated wall sign, not exceeding 80 square inches in area may be 


10. The following uses are expressly prohibited as or in conjunction with home 


(a) any type of repair or assembly of vehicles or equipment with internal combustion 

engines (such as autos, motorcycles, scooters, snowmobiles, outboard marine 

engines, lawn mowers, chain saws, and other small engines) or of large appliances 

(such as washing machines, dryers, and refrigerators) or any other work related to 

automobiles and their parts;

(b) dispatch centers or other businesses where employees come to the site and are 

dispatched to other locations; 

(c) animal grooming, care or boarding;

(d) retail sales.

Additionally, off-street parking in residential zoning districts shall be limited to parking of

passenger vehicles. No trucks may be parked in residential districts, except for vehicles 

actively being used for deliveries and trucks that are licensed for a gross vehicle weight of no 

more than 12,000 pounds and that have a length of no more than 20 feet.

Also below is the definition of a household as defined in the Kansas City Zoning and Development Code.

88-810-700 HOUSEHOLD

Household means an individual; or two or more persons related by blood, marriage or adoption; or a group of not more than five persons, excluding servants, who need not be related by blood or marriage, living together and subsisting in common as a separate nonprofit housekeeping unit which provides one kitchen; or a group of eight or fewer unrelated mentally or physically handicapped persons, which may include two additional persons acting as houseparents or guardians who need not be related to each other or to any of the mentally or physically handicapped persons residing in the home.

 What type of signs are allowed in residential zoning districts?

I am assuming these are in single family homes. If so the following regulations apply. If they are in commercial zones then it would be as allowed by Table 88-445-07

88-445-06 Signs in Residential Districts

88-445-06-A.     Residential Signs

Only the following signs are allowed in districts AG-R, R-80, R-10, R-7.5, R-6, R-5, R-2.5, R-1.5, R-0.5, and R-0.3:


      Except where otherwise specified, signs in residential districts may be externally illuminated only, unless otherwise specified.

      Flashing, moving, animated, wind-blown, or other signs that move or simulate movement are prohibited.

      In addition to other signs permitted under this section, any lot or parcel containing more than 4 dwelling units, a permitted institutional use, or a permitted commercial use, may contain signs conforming with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices and not containing any commercial message.

      Any sign allowed under this section may bear a noncommercial message. Limited commercial messages are allowed, in accordance with express provisions of this section, but such commercial messages may not advertise or direct attention to a business or commercial activity other than one lawfully conducted on the premises, as expressly allowed under this section.

    5. SETBACK
      Signs placed on a corner lot shall not extend forward of a diagonal line which intersects the front and side property lines of the lot at points 20 feet distant from the common intersection of the front and side property lines or, if the corner of the lot is platted on a radius, the extension of the front and side property lines to a point of common intersection.  Signs placed on an interior lot shall be set back a minimum of 5 feet from the right-of-way line.

    A lot with a principal use of a single-family or two-family home may have:

    1. For each entrance (excluding garage entrances) to a dwelling unit, one wall sign, not to exceed 80 square inches in area.


88-445-01-D.     Prohibited Signs

  1. The following signs are expressly prohibited in all districts:

    1. animated signs;

    2. banners, except as specifically allowed as special event temporary signs elsewhere in this chapter, or as specifically allowed in a Council Approved Signage Plan; pennants; and wind-blown signs;

    3. portable signs;

    4. vehicle signs; for purposes of this section, a vehicle parked containing a commercial message or image and regularly parked on the street side of any business and not regularly and customarily used in the business;

    5. signs on benches;

    6. signs on trees;

    7. signs on utility poles (not within the right-of-way), other than signs installed by the utility and related to the utility facility;

    8. signs blocking required means of egress from a building; and

    9. signs within the public right-of-way or on public property, except signs posted in accordance with this chapter, or projecting signs as allowed by this chapter


Jomy John, Manager - Permits, City Planning & Development Department/ Development Services, 414 East 12th Street, 5th Floor,Kansas City, MO 64106, Phone  (816) 513-1468,Fax  (816) 513-1456


How do I obtain a Certificate of Occupancy?

See Information Bulletin No. 139


Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. See Copyrights.